The situation regarding COVID is fast moving and evolving every hour. We are all subject to unprecedented changes in our everyday life to try and fight the spread of COVID-19.
Both employers and employees are going to be looking for help during these next few months and below outlines some very useful information you or your organization could provide to employees:
Health & Medical Carriers
- Send a recommendation for employees to check their medical carriers (Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser, UHC, CareFirst BCBS) website regularly for updates and information regarding their coverage
- Each carrier has a dedicated link/landing area specific to COVID-19 and your employees will already have a level of comfort with their existing carrier
- Most carriers are announcing that they are waiving copays and out of pocket costs associated with testing for COVID-19
- Many employers offer stand alone telemedicine services or have telemedicine options embedded in their health plans. Please announce to employees that they have this option, encourage them to get registered in advance of having to use, and use telemedicine as a first line of defense for COVID-19 or non-COVID-19 related health concerns
- Using telemedicine as a first line of defense will help avoid exposure to COVID-19 at busy hospitals, emergency rooms, urgent care centers and physician offices
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Most employers have 1 or multiple EAPs available to employees. Now is the time to re-distribute this information and make sure employees know they have access to support in a very difficult and anxiety provoking time. An ongoing reminder of the EAP will be important as this situation continue to develop over time.
- Most EAP extend coverage to employee, spouses, dependents and parents of employees and spouse
Financial & 401(k) Advice
- Employers should provide contact information to their 401(k) provider so that employees can speak with a financial professional regarding their current account and investment strategy amid the COVID-19 crisis
- CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
- Coronavirus Guidelines for America: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf
- How to work from home while the kids are there too: https://www.today.com/video/how-to-work-from-home-while-the-kids-are-there-too-80910405615?playlist=mmlsnnd_todayarchiveswednesday
- Where to turn for financial help during coronavirus emergency: https://www.today.com/video/where-to-turn-for-financial-help-during-the-coronavirus-emergency-80911429599?playlist=mmlsnnd_todayarchiveswednesday
- How to homeschool your young kids: 4th grade teacher offers tips: https://www.today.com/video/how-to-home-school-your-young-kids-4th-grade-teacher-offers-tips-80909893696?playlist=mmlsnnd_todayarchiveswednesday
Please reach out if you have any questions or need help pulling this information together for your employees and their families.
-Casey Nunneker, Employee Benefit Practice Leader and Principal ( NunnekerCC@ecsinsure.com )